Thursday, October 15, 2009

Rotary Club

Today, we visited the Rotary Club for their organ donation speaker. A friend's husband is a member of the Rotary Club and saw our piece on the news. He asked if we knew anyone that could speak, so I had my mother in law make a call for me.

It was informative even for me. I learned today that only certain deceased people (brain dead) can be "organ" donors. However, you can be a tissue donor in most cases. I also learned that even though I signed my drivers license as an organ donor I was NOT done. Apparently you have to "register" on line too. So needless to say, I got that taken care of today.

Did anyone know that you can live with one lung? Not I. You can donate the following while living: kidney, lung and part of your liver. Who knew? I had heard about the kidney (of course) and the liver. However, I've never heard of the lung.

Quite informative. I hope that people choose to sign the organ donation card and/or register with your state. Even minors can do this and they recommend that you tell your family about it. They still like the consent of the family when looking into this option. (I asked about the minors b/c my daughter checked her box and it does not appear on her "permit." I was told that if it does not show when she gets her license, to let her know.)

The speaker said something that I thought when I was young. Organ donation is something you don't really consider at a young age. I am happy that I've been enlightened and hope to get information to others so they too might get information on organ donation.

Our online registration is http://www.tndonorregistry.org/
I am sure there is something in every state. Even if you are in a different state, you can go to this site and get some staggering information/numbers on donors needed vs. donors.

No comments:

Post a Comment