Saturday, October 3, 2009

What do you say?

I just got an email from my assistant principal letting me know that meals will be supplied for us during the kidney removal. She also asked what else we needed and that she didn't want me to say nothing. I'm not sure what we need. Frankly, I can't picture what this is going to look like myself. I'm still trying to determine if I want someone to "sit" with me at the hospital or if I'm supposed to just be a big girl and do it myself. It is a LONG surgery-like 8 hours, so how do you ask someone to sit with you? I don't know when and how the kids will join us and if they will go to school. I can't imagine them sitting at the hospital for 8 hours, but worry they won't be able to focus at school either. I'll likely send them to school though and have them brought to me. Any thoughts on any of it are appreciated.

5 comments:

  1. Bruce, Sr. & I will be there with you. We plan to stay in a hotel near the hosp. the night before the surgery, because he will most likely need to be there very early in the AM. It would probably be best for the kids to go to school the 1st couple of days, because Sean will be in ICU for 2-3 days & children may not be allowed in the room. Also, it may be better if they see him after he gets to a reg. room & doesn't have tubes & monitors all around him. He will be very drowsy the 1st few days & not up to visitors. If we are needed to keep the kids & get them to & from school, we can do that. I am only basing this on our experience with Bruce. We'll talk about everything when the time gets closer. Accept the meals, you can always freeze them & will be glad you have them.
    Love, Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. bout time you updated! i was getting worried when you didn't.. i did tonight.. even though nothing new. anyway.. that's awesome about your asst principal calling and offering the meals to you.. that must be a relief! the thing about the kids though.. you might want to check with the hospital. my good friend's bil is in icu right now after being in a car wreck.. he has a 6 yr old and the hospital he's in said no kids allowed in the hospital at all cause of the h1n1 stuff going on. not sure if that's a regional thing or not but worth checking into.
    i haven't really thought much about what i'm going to do with my kids.. other than my parents said they'd come and be with them and worry about getting them to/from school and meals.. etc..
    i'm glad you updated.. hope all is well with school!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need something to do for 8 hours. Sitting alone will not be good. Our hospital did not allow children in ICU areas and nurses told me to keep young ones away completely. You just need to keep them and yourself busy for the surgery time. They may worry if they have nothing to do but wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I plan to be in and out and back to work by Wednesday. Tell everyone thanks but I'm not planning to be out that long. The power of positive thinking!!! I'll be up and around in no time. LOL
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well smart mouth-it looks like you must update your blog! Positive thinking or denial? Goof-ball.

    ReplyDelete