Saturday, December 26, 2009

Three Days and Counting....

We had a great Christmas. On Christmas eve, a newspaper reporter came and spent some time with us interviewing Jeremy and Sean about their friendship and the transplant. She is a fabulous lady and it was good to put a face with a name after all these years! Can't wait to see the piece.

At the last minute-like 10:00 pm we decided to go to midnight mass because the Christmas day mass wasn't working with our traditional schedule. Sean and the kids went to rest for an hour before we had to leave for church. It was a good mass and it left Christmas wide open for family time which is just what we like.


We had our breakfast, opened presents and just hung out for most of the day. We visited a friend and a couple friends came here to visit us. Sean cooked dinner-yummy! Of course he overdid it a bit and didn't sleep well. But all had a great time eating too much and visiting. Our donor left for his hotel in Nashville for some much deserved peace and quiet. Two days with us and I'm sure he was ready for quiet!


Today I went to work and got set up for my sub. It was so peaceful and it is all done (or at least I hope it is). Sean went to dialysis. The kids are playing their new game. Now...when to take down the tree......


Dialysis went well except the people there are complacent at best on some days. Today they are overcrowded due to the holiday and so much goes by the waste side. Sean has a disc thing that we drive all the way to Nashville because it is so important. Well today he told the nurse or tech that it fell off and she said she'd look at it. After 3.5 hours no one had come to look at it, so he asked someone else. They said Vandi is the only place that does it and it isn't that big of a deal. To top it off, they don't have any because they are changing out their stock. (They also didn't have something else he needed today too.) What kind of dialysis center runs out of essential supplies? Needless to say, he is quite upset. We are THREE days from transplant-now is not the time to get an infection!


So needless to say, he will ask the doctor on Monday about this very important piece that requires a drive to Nashville three times a week. I didn't think this little thing was it, but the nurse or tech said it was, so.....it's worth a mention to the doctor. I thought the all important part was what they packed the tube with as he leaves, but who knows?...I still think it's terribly irresponsible to run out of supplies to keep these things covered.


Jeremy is in Nashville and we've gotten to spend much time with him. His family will arrive tomorrow. I look forward to meeting his parents. I've heard of cases where a potential donor's family talks them out of it. So I am forever thankful that our donor's family is supportive of his choice to donate. Jeremy was a little shocked to hear his kidney may only last for 20 years. He was thinking it would last Sean's lifetime. Sean does intend to take care of himself and that precious kidney to help it last longer than 20 years!

I will post as soon as I can after transplant to let everyone know how it is going. I never did find wireless internet in the hospital, so it'll be late when I do. I'll have to wait until I get to the hotel to post.

Have a great rest of the holiday season!




3 comments:

  1. Merry Belated Christmas! I was thinking about you on the way home from the grocery store tonight and thinking of all the things you're going through. I should have called you but I was so close to home that I didn't. I figured I'd call you after I got settled and then completely forgot! So.. I'm headed to bed and if you get this before leaving for the hospital tomorrow (today, actually), I will say extra prayers for you and Sean and am going to mention you in my blog and on FB! God bless you and God be with you, Sean, the donor, the donor's family and most importantly the surgeons involved in the transplant! Hugs to you!!!! XOXOXO Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer. I read the blog this morning. I will update but it'll be late as I wait for the night nurse to show up before going to my hotel. I do think it is very cool to have met on here. I will take good notes for you. Merry Christmas & Happy new year! You are always in our prayers too. I am excited for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, you're always in my thoughts and prayers.

    The opportunity to meet your living donor seems like such a joyous way to begin the process.

    ReplyDelete