Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Better Now

I was trying to wait until we got the latest lab results prior to posting something. Tuesday we had the first appointment since release. It was a bit crazy. Apparently it is called "clinic" so that implies a huge wait time. It was nuts!!! They wouldn't do the labs prior to our appointment which proved to be a screw up.

Tues. night Sean got a call about his potassium levels being dangerously high. He was required to drink some prescription medicine (which is nearly impossible to find in Clarkville) to help eliminate potassium. Then off to a local doctor for blood work to check to see if it's back to normal. During the call the doctor kept asking if Sean's heart was well and did he feel okay. It is difficult to go from you are near deadly numbers to complacency as we spent the last two days tracking down results.

So with no one calling us back today, we went to our local doctor that drew the blood and told them we needed the lab results. With those in hand, we know that they are better, but still no input on if he's to maintain a low potassium diet or resume a regular diet. So he called his aunt to get some advise. He will stear clear of beans and potatoes, but will have tomato on sandwhiches. Then on Tues. we will clarify what kind of diet if any he must maintain.

Out of this, we have insisted that labs be done prior to the appointment so we can discuss the results as part of the visit. Otherwise it seems too very stupid to go all the way there. The point is to be relaxed after a visit not relaxed then all in an uproar. When they call at night and you are shocked and think of questions later. The downside if there is one (of drawing labs prior to doctor visit), is that Sean might have to be stuck a second time IF the doctor wants additional labs drawn.

This whole thing is getting confusing. We used to have a doctor and then a coordinator. Now we have so many doctors and one main number to use. I am not quite sure if we are to contact each doctor depending on the issue or this main number. Whatever the procedure, it was not working today. We called all numbers, emailed and got no response until we kept calling. I don't want to be "that" patient, but like I said, near "deadly" (the word they used) is a bit scarey and requires some contact. So you know I'll be asking who gets called and for what so this doesn't happen again. I'd also like to know the time frame for a call back.

Tuesday (12th) they are supposed to remove staples and dialysis port. It's time for the port. It started getting a little red/irritated yesterday and today. The following week on the 21st, Sean will see the kidney doctor, have a bone scan, have a stint removed and see a urologist. That will be a busy day! After that, if things look well, I think he'll go to his appointments without me. I might go to some a little later. Lab work from Vandi goes onto the website so we have access to it almost immediately.

3 comments:

  1. Transition to post-transplant is a little overwhelming, isn't it? I was intimidated keeping up with all the medications. My appointments here are pretty standardized. They take blood as soon as I arrive. A critical piece of information is the amount of time since immuno-suppressant (mine is prograf) was taken. I then meet with one of three triage nurses and then meet with one of several doctors or PAC's, who do the checkup. I have to wait until lab reports are ready and go over them with the doctor before I leave. If I have issues between app'ts, there is a hotline to one of the triage nurses, who take the issues to the doc's. It's a complicated new world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the way we would like it. However, they refused to do labs ahead of time so had NO results to discuss. In fact, today they called and told Sean to increase his Prograf. It's been 6 days since the labs were pulled before they determined he needed more. That seems crazy!

    It sounds like your appts are an all day adventure. Would that be correct? I guess if that's the case, we'd better bring some good books. Sean's aunt said hers took all day too, so maybe we just need to prepare for that.

    Thanks, David for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry for the delayed response. My clinic visits varied in time. The first two weeks we had to drive to the hospital in Fort Worth where the transplant took place. They usually took 3-4 hours. When they felt things were stable, I was able to go to the clinic near my house here in Dallas. The same group runs the centers in both Dallas and Fort Worth, so I see the same doctors. I have learned to schedule my appointments super early in the day before the clinic is crowed, so I get in and out pretty quick. I now go every two months and am in and out in an hour or two including labs, unless they're doing glofill tests which take all morning.

    ReplyDelete