Friday, November 20, 2009

Yeah!

Wow! It was a very scarey day and I did well until my baby girl lost it. She's been so very mature and helpful with all of this and today it was rough saying goodbye before going into surgery.

The surgeon came in and seemed like he could go either way on the cut. Sean told him his option and the doctor determined he could indeed do it that way. This incision is supposed to be easier to heal/recover which is good with only 5.5 weeks until transplant.

The surgery itself was not at all long. They began surgery at 8:52 and were closing at 10:47am. However, he was in "recovery" until after 2pm. Then finally in holding until around 4pm-maybe a little later. They moved him to a room and told us someone would come get us when they were ready. We were waiting and had issues since renal floor is on the "tramau" floor too. They don't allow children in this area to include the waiting rooms. So they left us in a hallway instead. I finally checked with the nurse and she said we could come back. All blew kisses b/c he was sleeping.

Sean had lots of visitors "waiting" with us. Ms. Tammy and Ms. Cindy came with magazines, movies, a DVD player snacks and goodness only knows what else is in that bag-lol. Of course, his parents, my parents and the kids. I think the kids being there is a good distaction.

Much of this seems to be more than Garett can comprehend. I'm sure he won't remember it-I hope not anyway-but Garett heard my mother in law say she passed it to Sean. So Garett said to me, that means dad might have passed it to me. He also doesn't seem to understand that he couldn't just come home with us today. He has been told we'd be here past this weekend. We have arrangements for my mom and step dad to take the kids back to Clarksville to do the last two days of school prior to Thanksgiving.

I am at the hotel now b/c the nurse on duty, Mary, is very efficient. They used his brand new port to monitor something today-without permission-and left tubes attached. This nurse found it and called for orders to remove and flush the tube. Sadly, it was on too tight, but she flushed and packed it (with antibiotic I believe). She is contacting dialysis tomorrow to have it removed.

Well I'm off to bed or it was pointless for me to return here.

PS. My brother in law got a kidney donor!!! Whoo-hoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment